In academia it is perfectly normal for the job advertisement and application process to take many months, in some cases up to a year. There are also clear periods in the year when jobs are advertised, so you know when and where to look.
No such thing in business. No way. Job ads are open for 2-3 weeks. Interviews are scheduled the week after the closing date and candidates are made an offer within a week (2 at most) after that. This is the fast life! It still takes me by surprise every time I see an interesting job.
Logistical issues are also plenty. A really nice job is advertised, but the interviews are scheduled in the week when I have a conference. To make matters worse, the conference is in South Africa. Sounds far fetched? Nope, already happened.
Coming back from a 3-week trip with poor internet connectivity a really nice job pops up. Trying to apply it turns out the due date was a week before. Missed it.
I need to clone myself... Or at least think up a way to get the ads into my field of view before they expire.
No comments:
Post a Comment