Ivory Tower

Ivory Tower

Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Choices, choices, choices...

I honestly never expected to be in this situation by now: I have two offers for a job. And I haven't even started working down my list of names from other people's networks yet. It feels a bit weird and thoroughly exciting at the same time.

Last week I had another interview, which went well. I was told they had one other candidate and I would hear back this week, so that would give me another 33% chance of an offer. The two options I have now are already orthogonal to eachother, this one would add another orthogonal one, making it immensely hard to choose. Decisions will have to be made soon...

In the mean time, I have been exploring the teaching option very seriously as well. I talked to a physics teacher yesterday, and she reflected my opinion that it is hard work, but very rewarding. She also pointed out that she feels more at home in schools with only the higher levels of high-school education, because the kids are more motivated. My main worry is that I would be teaching lower levels only, given the fact that I don't have an official teaching license for high levels, and I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with that.

Today or tomorrow I will talk to the people organizing the teacher education at the University of Groningen. This is a part-time study, and I am seriously considering to start there anyway while I take one of the two (or three) jobs. That way I can be fully prepared when either the next contract runs out, or I feel that teaching is indeed the way for me to go. Both offers include a part-time option, the question is if the logistics on a day to day basis will work out.


No comments:

Post a Comment